CHEX TV airdate: Friday January 9th between 5 and 6pm Click link to watch video here. On her way back from the One of a Kind Show, Josee Huard, maker of wonderful Northern Smittens dropped in to talk with me about her work. Northern Smittens are one of a kind felted wool mittens handcrafted from recycled wool sweaters found in thrift stores. These sweaters are often stained, shrunk or damaged making them unwearable. ?They often find their way into landfills or are sent by large shipping boats to third-world countries. By working around these problems, the artist is able to take these previously loved sweaters, cut them up and give them new life as beautiful pieces of art for your hands. All sweaters are at least 80% wool. ?The sweaters are processed in hot water so their fibers felt together making them thick and soft. ?This felting process creates a mitten that is incredibly warm and naturally water and wind resistant. ?The mitten lining is made from new polar fleece to ensure warmth and comfort. So warm and comfy!
Call Us Toll Free
Subscribe To Our Newsletter:
- Garden Tips: Begone, Vile Interlopers! (on Grackles & Starlings)
- Garden Tips: Marching Into Spring
- Garden Gate: Episode 185 – By Hand show new products (Feb 28 2020)
- Garden Gate: Episode 184 – Toronto Gift Fair and new products for the spring (Feb. 14, 2020)
- Garden Gate: Episode 183 – Best places to bird in Peterborough with Michael Burrell (Jan. 31, 2020)