CHEX TV airdate: July 25th, 2014 Click here to watch this episode. Birds love seed that you put out in your bird feeders, but in the summer they go crazy for natural berries and seeds that they find in your garden. On this episode I’ll highlight a few plants they you could easily incorporate into your garden. I especially love seeing Cedar waxwings in the late summer devouring the Mountain ash berries. ?I always get customers in commenting on “this flock of birds.” ?They come in large numbers and hang out in one tree for a day or two until the berries are gone. Then they move onto the next one. It’s also a great idea to leave some of your plants standing late and through the winter so the birds can pick out all of the seeds. Echinacea is a great plant that the finches especially enjoy. So leave those seed heads standing as long as possible! If you incorporate a variety of plants, trees and shrubs you’ll see more variety of birds. They each have their favourite. This All about Birds website as well as many others can give you lists of plants that birds love. ?Or drop by the store and we can give you some ideas as well. Just remember “Variety is the spice of life!”
Call Us Toll Free
Subscribe To Our Newsletter:
- GARDEN GATE: Episode 280 – Solmate Socks! (Nov 24, 2023)
- GARDEN GATE: Episode 279 – Squirrel Buster Suet! (Nov 10, 2023)
- What do trail mix and feeding birds have in common?
- GARDEN GATE: Episode 278 – Setting Up a Feeding Station (Oct 27, 2023)
- GARDEN GATE: Episode 277 – The Importance of a Clean Feeder (Oct 13, 2023)